Thursday, October 26, 2006

Lynchburg


After a loooong drive from Elizabethton to Lynchburg (including getting lost twice) we finally rolled in to Lynchburg at around 3PM. Everyone was friendly and they led us right to our site. Fred at Jack Daniel's told me he would hook us up with a great site and he certainly did not disappoint.

Here is what our site looked like upon arrival. Will post what it looked like once decorating is complete.


Our site is around 50 feet by 50 feet, located in a high traffic area, right in front of the main entrance to the competition. Hopefully that will help us sell rub and t-shirts. We have water and power, so we will not need to use the generator we borrowed. A creek runs right behind our site. We spent around three hours setting up our site, and fortunately the rain didn't come until we were finished for the night.

We went to Crockett's in Tullahoma for dinner, and enjoyed several Lynchburg lemonades. I've decided that will be my libation of choice this weekend, with the exception of the occasional shot. I won't be drinking too much though, someone has to keep a slightly clear head.

Staying in the Hampton Inn in Tullahoma, nice place, not far from Lynchburg. I recommend the place to fellow Q'ers who are in the area. A little pricey at $140, but I'm sure everyone jacks up their prices this week.

Met Ray Lampe, aka Dr BBQ today. This was a big thrill for me, as I have read his books and have seen a lot of him on TV. He said that he knew of us and knew we were coming, with surprised me, this heavy hitter even knows that I exist.

Also saw the boys from iQue and the Dirty Dicks, was nice to reconnect with fellow New Englanders. Everyone seems to be the same as us, really just happy to be there and soaking it all in. I know this could be a once in a lifetime thing, so I'm making sure we take time to smell the roses (and the sour mash).

To our friends at Lunchmeat: If there is a team out there that deserves to be here, it is you. Lunchmeat epitomizes what I feel competitive BBQ is all about, and I really hope you get the chance to come here and experience this.

I hope we're here again with you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurry up with the next update!!!
just kidding :)

You don't know me but I just want to say "thanks" for letting us less fortunate Q'rs know whats going on at the Jack.

I knew Ray would delete your post as soon as he saw it, so I copied and pasted it into my browser as quick as I could!

Thanks for sharing Ted,

Good Luck

Bubba-Q

Anonymous said...

Im glad you guys got there safe!
Good luck guys. Bring some hardware home for us 'rookies'!!

Mike
Lakeside Smokers

Anonymous said...

Ted, have fun for you and the rest of your team and go for that big winners trophy and Ted remember this is not how we do it. (inside joke)