Thursday, April 24, 2008

This Weekend

Going up to Maynard, Massachusetts Sunday to get myself trained to be a certified Kansas City Barbeque Society judge. I've wanted to take a judging class for a long time now, but have not been able to make any of the classes that have been held in the area.

It should be interesting. I've cooked more than a dozen contests now, and this should be a good learning experience for me.

Also, officially submitted the application for the Oyster Bay grilling event May 10th on Long Island. I already have a good idea of what I am going to cook for three of the categories, which are chicken, beef steak and pork chops. Saturday, I'm going to do a practice run on oysters, which is the fourth category. Sheila will be in California for the weekend, so I have all day Saturday to cook and eat. Probably not the best thing for my waistline but it will be a great day of gluttony.

Something is holding me back from sending in the application for the New Hampshire Rock-n-Ribfest June 20-22. Don't get me wrong, I really want to cook the contest, but Sheila will be into the 9th month of pregnancy and I'm really not sure being away for three days is the right thing to do. She could go into early labor or something and I would miss the whole thing.

Chances are, it will be fine, as her pregnancy has been going along well. Over the last month, she has seriously started showing, and the kid sure is moving around and kicking. It's becoming more and more real.

By the way, it's a boy, and his name will be Max.

4 comments:

WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Congrats on the baby boy. How'd you settle on a name before the baby was born? With my daughter we didn't name her until 2 days after.

Coming to Brooklyn in June? Grillin On The Bay baby!

Ted Lorson said...

Once we found out it was a boy, we kicked around names for a few weeks. I like the name Max and threw it out there one night, and Sheila just loved it. He's been Max ever since.

Grilling on the Bay...I had a great time there last year. Having grown up in NY it was so great to cook an event right in the middle of a bustling city neighborhood. I would come for sure if it wasn't for the baby.

It's going to have to be a last minute decision (if there is space left).

Lakeside Smoker said...

Great choice on becoming a CBJ!
See you Sunday.

Mike

Ted Lorson said...

It will probably just make me overthink everything even more than I already do...