Thursday, July 02, 2009

Next Stop, Lake Placid



Well early tomorrow morning it's off to Lake Placid, NY and the I Love BBQ Festival. We are really looking forward to getting up there. Before many contests, I'm frantic getting ready, but for some strange reason there is an unusual calm.

I figure there are a few reasons for this. One, we just competed less than two weeks ago, and for the most part everything is still packed. Many times, I leave things to the last possible second, including securing the load in the trailer, dumping the tanks, etc. All that stuff is already done. All I really need to do is throw a couple of coolers into the trailer, hook up and go.

Also, there is very little pressure. We are not in contention for any team of the year honors, so no pressure there. My brother is cooking the midnight grilling bash, so I don't have to worry about that. We are doing the buck a bone contest, but there is no real pressure there either. Regardless, we make a few dollars there, whether we win any awards or not.

Then there's the KCBS contest. I am really looking forward to this. New Hampshire was a bit of a wake up call for me, and I don't plan on making the same mistakes this time around. I'll probably make some new ones though. There are obviously no guarantees of doing any better but I feel pretty good going in.

Lake Placid is just such a great place. Just knowing we are going to be there for a few days is enough alone to lift my spirits.

Unfortunately, it does not appear that the weather is going to cooperate, again. I'm beginning to think that we are turning into "Black Cloud BBQ" again. Why the heck can't we just have a couple of contests where it is 80 degrees and sunny all weekend? This was supposed to be the summer of George!

No comments: