Thursday, December 25, 2008

X-Mas Eve Feast

Merry Christmas!

Every year, our Christmas day is a complete rat race, first going to Sheila's father's house, then to my parent's house. It is a lot of driving and a lot of rushing around. So years ago, we started our own tradition of having a great feast Christmas eve at home, and opening our presents to each other.

This year, I have been extremely busy the last few weeks, so I did not put a lot of thought into the meal. The last minute plan was to make filet mignon with sauce Bearnaise. However, when I got to one of my meat spots in the afternoon Christmas eve, they had boneless prime rib roasts that were marked down so low that I had to grab one.

Rubbed it with turbinado sugar and Schwartz's of Montreal steak rub. I would have preferred to cook it in the Weber Smokey Mountain, but since there is a foot of snow on my patio I decided to just use the oven.


Roasted at 375 degrees until it was around 120 internal, then held under foil until the scalloped potatoes, veg and crescent rolls were complete. Took a little too long, and by the time the meat was sliced it was closer to medium than to rare.

We usually pull out all of the crystal and other stuff that we got for our wedding and rarely gets used for this meal.

Overall dinner was great. While I usually prefer prime rib with au jus, the Bearnaise came out awesome and went well with the beef.


Dinner was a success!

Now, the rat race begins.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vegetables!?!? Was that last plate Sheila's?

Ted Lorson said...

I put those on there just for you :-)

Anonymous said...

Do you make the bernaise from scratch?

Ted Lorson said...

I do, always. I've got it to the point where it never breaks any more. It is one of my favorite things to cook. There are few things better than a good Bearnaise!

Anonymous said...

Thats the problem I have been having